Monday, March 26, 2012

No Crystal Stair by Yaunda Micheaux Nelson


In No Crystal Stair , you experience a completely different side of the black rights movement. This is a documentary novel and story of Lewis Michaux, a Harlem bookseller. Although in the beginning of the story Lewis never had an intention of becoming a bookseller, his passion of education later on in life is enchanting. Malcolm X and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. are only mentioned very briefly during the last parts of this novel because this story shows the development of the civil rights movement from the very early beginnings in the 1920's. If you're looking for a book that's out of the ordinary and about real American history, then you've come across the right book.

I absolutely loved this book. I found everything about it very interesting. I'm not the history type at all, but by reading this book I turned into one. I'd heard everything about Malcolm X and Dr.  Martin Luther King Jr., I'd heard the I Have a Dream speech more than twice and, frankly, I was getting bored of the civil rights part of history. So, I chose this book purely at random from a group that I couldn't decide between and I'm glad I got this one. I got to finally see the other side of the civil rights movement; it was like going back stage at your favorite concert. No matter how little they are interested, I highly recommend this book to any middle or high school history student. 
Some language and intense themes
Reviewer Age:15
Reviewer City, State and Country: Hopkins, Michigan United States